Above is PASR 015: The One With Tony Bruno.
“I was working overnights for seven years because they didn’t just throw you on in morning drive or afternoon drive back then.” – Tony Bruno
Tony Bruno is the kind of radio host with whom you can have a couple of beers and enjoy the back-and-forth banter. He’s a voice you’ve heard on local and national airwaves for over 40 years now.
But there still may be a thing or two left you don’t know about regarding the guy who now does a daily radio show, a weekly podcast and a regular hit on the Olbermann show on ESPN.
Tony Bruno has done it all and is doing it all. He helped start ESPN Radio and has lived on both coasts. And it might have come at the expense of his marriage.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Tony talks about his early hook to radio as a coping mechanism after his father’s death when he was a child. [3:03]
- Tony talks about his first foray into working at a radio station. [4:01]
- Tony talks about his style on-air, which he thinks is pretty simple. [7:58]
- Tony talks about his early start on national radio. [10:32]
- Tony talks about being the host of the first incarnation of ESPN Radio’s morning show. [16:36]
- Tony talks about how his career affected his marriage. [23:06]
- Tony calls me out on one of his on-air annoyances–something I used to do on-air. [24:50]
- Tony on why he and Keith Olbermann click. [26:57]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Tony on Twitter: @TonyBrunoShow
- The Art of the Pimp: One Man’s Search for Love, Sex, and Money on Amazon OR get an audiobook for free!
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Tony Bruno.
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Tony and I talked about…
What radio show, to your ear, sounds most like two or three friends ‘just talking’ to each other?
Leave your answer below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.