Above is PASR 029: The One With Stugotz (Part 1).
“I don’t measure consequences really well.” – Jon “Stugotz” Weiner
Imagine a guy in love with sports radio, so much so that he decided he’d leave a nice little job at Madison Square Garden, in the shadows of his hometown, to pursue it.
Sure, it was Miami, but the tradeoff was that Jon Weiner would be paid in something that resembled a slight upgrade over donuts.
And then he loved sports radio so much that he’d start his own station.
And then, eventually, be on ESPN Radio.
You might believe it. But then again, with the character he plays on radio, you might not believe that this was Stugotz–the sports-loving, say-whatever-consequences-be-damned jokester who co-hosts The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz on ESPN Radio.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Stugotz recalls how he came to the realization that sports radio was something that he wanted to do. [2:05]
- Stugotz takes us on a journey down memory lane, which included a stint working under Hank Goldberg. [4:50]
- How did Stugotz help start 790 The Ticket in Miami? [8:56]
- Stugotz talks about how 790 the ticket became the number one sports station in the market. [13:08]
- Was there a moment where Stugotz thought the show was going to be a long term thing? [14:13]
- How much different is Jon Weiner from Stugotz? [17:10]
- Stugotz explains the difficulties of working morning and afternoon shows at one point, and eventually parting ways with then executive producer Marc Hochman. [19:32]
- “I don’t measure consequences really well…” Stugotz mentions the biggest annoyance that Dan has with him. [23:19]
- Stugotz mentions what annoys him most about Dan. [24:40]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Stugotz and I talked about…
Who, other than any co-hosts, has been most important to your show’s success, and why?
Leave your answer below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.