Above is PASR 022: The One With Steve Savard.
“Never lose sight of the fact that it’s the game (that matters to the listener). The research can help you, but keep your eyes on the field.” – Steve Savard
There are plenty of former athletes that are in the business of sports radio these days. In fact, they are damn near a dime a dozen.
But not like our guest this week.
Steve Savard turned a college and NFL career (cut short by injury) into a career as a TV sports and news anchor. On the radio side, he didn’t become the analyst. He became the play-by-play announcer. And his first gig was the National Football League. That’s certainly a one-of-a-kind resumé.
Savard, Voice of the St. Louis Rams, tells the story of how he got one of only 32 jobs in the world–NFL team play-by-play announcer–and how he got there. He also throws out some interesting nuggets of advice for aspiring play-by-play announcers.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Steve talks about how he transitioned from sports on the field to sports on TV and radio. [1:33]
- Steve talks about how he broke into play-by-play. [3:46]
- Steve explains how bumpy the road was when he first became the play-by-play voice of the Rams. [5:04]
- Steve describes how critical he can get of himself when critiquing his own tape. [6:36]
- Steve explains the dichotomy of having to be critical, at times, of bad play with the Rams. [9:05]
- Steve goes over how to incorporate a new color analyst into a broadcast. [11:59]
- Steve considers what his job title is considering he’s got multiple jobs in multiple mediums. [13:45]
- Steve talks about his biggest weaknesses in play-by-play. [16:30]
- Steve’s biggest strengths in play-by-play. [17:57]
- Steve advises aspiring play-by-play announcers. [19:16]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Steve and I talked about…
What is the best trait of a good play-by-play announcer?
Leave it below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.