Above is PASR 011: The One With Scott Ferrall.
“I don’t want to be an asshole for the rest of my career. I want to be a difference-maker… it helps me sleep better.” – Scott Ferrall
CBS Sports Radio’s Scott Ferrall is my guest on this podcast. Ferrall, as he is known to basically everyone, has been to a ton of places and succeeded at all of them with a self-confidence that many others would envy.
Ferrall takes you through all of the different turns of his career, which include covering a national championship at 18, to sleeping at the houses of the players he was covering, to working for Howard Stern, to now “playing by the rules” for perhaps the first time at CBS Sports Radio.
Ferrall was once self-admittedly “brash and a showoff,” but that early mentality, along with his “Rainman-esque” knowledge of sports made him a name from an early age, and he’s at the point in his career where he’s feeling about as good as he’s ever felt about his career.
Scott also talks about the relationships he has burned and the ones he has kept or mended along the way.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Scott takes us through his very interesting career path. [2:35]
- What makes Scott’s style successful regardless of the market he works in? [10:34]
- Scott talks about how selfish he was when trying to move up in the business. [16:55]
- “Be careful who you work for and who say bad things about in your life.” [18:45]
- “I don’t want to be an asshole for the rest of my career.” [19:40]
- “I don’t think I matter that much.” [20:19]
- Scott talks about some of his biggest failures in the sports radio business. [22:59]
- Scott talks about how he had to resurrect his career, and did so successfully. [27:49]
- What would Scott be doing if he never got into sports radio? [28:51]
- Scott talks about how he begged (threatened) his first boss to give him a sports gig. [32:29]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Lids: I’m a customer and a proud member of the Lids Club, where I get discounts on all of the sports apparel they have under their roof both in their brick-and-mortar stores AND online. GET 20% OFF HATS AND 10% OFF EVERYTHING ELSE NOW BY SIGNING UP FOR THE LIDS CLUB AT THIS LINK: aboutsportsradio.com/getlids.*
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Ferrall? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see attached to this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.