Above is PASR 018: The One With Mike Ryan.
“We’re really a comedy show and no one has really grown tired of the bit just yet.” – Mike Ryan
Sometimes you just feel like you want to be a part of something you think is special.
That’s what happened to Mike Ryan. Mike is the super-sharp, super-creative executive producer of The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz. How did he get to that spot? He heard something one day. Mike tells that story that saw him go from veterinary sales to executive producer of one of the most popular shows in sports radi0–and how it didn’t necessarily happen overnight.
Mike talks pet peeves, the impact digital and–now–television have on the show, and how he works all in this podcast.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Mike talks about how he got into sports radio. [3:49]
- Mike talks about how he eventually worked his way up from intern to LeBatard’s show. [4:48]
- Mike talks about his typical day for him, which includes writing for Highly Questionable on ESPN. [6:56]
- Mike talks about how tough the transition from radio-show-to-radio-and-television-show. [8:39]
- Mike talks about the show’s consumption through all of the different mediums. [12:45]
- Mike gives his description of The Dan LeBatard Show with Stugotz. [15:01]
- Mike describes his on-air role in the show. [17:33]
- Mike gives his favorite benchmarks on the radio show. [18:50]
- Mike talks about how he thinks he, Dan and Stugotz have all evolved. [21:16]
- Mike talks about the things he does that annoys Dan and Stugotz. [25:56]
- Mike talks about the annoyances he has with other radio shows. [27:26]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Dan LeBatard Show, 4-7pm ET
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Mike Ryan.
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Mike and I talked about…
What is something you do on-air that annoys the people you work with?
Leave your answer below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.