Above is PASR 027: The One With Matt Chernoff.
“You can hear the host that’s prepped. You can hear the difference in the content.” – Matt Chernoff
Sometimes, if a station sticks with a host or hosts for awhile, eventually it’s going to work.
Now, I don’t know if that was the case with Matt Chernoff, afternoon sports talk host on 680 The Fan in Atlanta, but the ball he got rolling in the late 1990s & early 2000s is now rolling so fast that he’s one of the most popular hosts in the entire city.
He came up the interning way, grinded like hell, and worked his way all the way to drive time over the years.
And he never left his city.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Matt tells the “hokiest, dorkiest” story he’s ever told publicly. [1:01]
- How did Chernoff get his foot in the sports radio door? [2:25]
- Matt tells the story of one of the bits he had to go out and do as an intern. [5:07]
- Matt describes his “really dumb show.” [5:54]
- Matt gives an example of a different way his show will tackle content. [6:56]
- Matt describes his chemistry with his co-host Chuck Oliver. [7:57]
- What comes to mind when the word “successful” is used in sports radio. [10:18]
- Matt talks about when, exactly, he stopped being “comfortable.” [11:31]
- How much does an old firing from his competitor down the street fuel Matt? [13:25]
- Matt’s philosophy on phone calls. [16:13]
- What’s the “sweet spot” on listener interaction with the show. [18:24]
- Chernoff won’t answer the question about good interviewing traits. [19:47]
- The word “awkward” as it pertains to radio. It’s not always bad. [22:13]
- Pet peeves of Matt’s. [26:09]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. More with Matt Chernoff.
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Matt and I talked about…
Just how important are guest interviews in sports talk radio?
Leave your answer below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.