Above is PASR 002: The One With John Kincade
“Don’t aspire to be liked. Aspire to be respected.” – John Kincade
Today’s guest is John Kincade, with whom I’ve struck up an accord here within the last year or so, via Twitter (because, of course, right?)
John Kincade is a rarity in this business. Not only because he’s been employed by multiple national sports talk radio networks (he’s currently solo-hosting weekends on CBS Sports Radio), but moreso because he’s somehow been able to co-exist with the same co-host in a major market for 15 years! That’s insane and awesome–which is probably a lovable definition for his show, “Buck and Kincade” on 680 The Fan in Atlanta.
Check out more of the show notes to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- John talks about he used to lay in bed in his adolescence and listen to nighttime sports talk on a news-talker in Philadelphia, which got him fascinated about the biz at a young age.
- John talks about remembering the launch of WFAN in New York, the first all-sports talk station, and hearing it from his hometown Philly and eventually getting in as an intern once WIP launched in Philly soon thereafter.
- John talks about his biggest failure being doubting himself.
- John talks about what he’s most proud of in the business, including 15 years with the same host at 680 The Fan.
- John talks about how to maintain a long-lasting relationship with the same host.
- John explains the biggest differences between hosting a national solo act and a local two-man show and how tough the transition is to hop back and forth.
- John breaks down his “workflow” of how he comes up with ideas for his show.
- John gives an example of how he comes at a topic a different way.
- John gives his biggest pet peeve of other hosts in the business.
- John talks about the pride he has seeing great producers move on to bigger and better things.
- John talks about how surviving cancer twice changed him.
- John gives his one piece of advice to sports radio hosts.
- John tells us who the best in the biz are right now.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- John’s book recommendations
- John’s Twitter: @JohnKincade
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or John? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.