Above is PASR 001: The One With Jason Barrett
“It would have the authoritative presence of Mike Francesa. It would have the interview ability of Dan Patrick. It would have Colin Cowherd’s brain.” – Jason Barrett on the ‘perfect host.’
**Want Jason’s 3 L’s he looks for in a sports talk host? Get it here in a 1-page PDF!
Okay. I’m nervous.
This is it. This is my first Podcast About Sports Radio and I am super pumped. And I’m nervous. Why? Because what if it sucks?
I operate out of fear of failure and I don’t want to fail.
But, I got to just start, right? Even if it’s not perfect right out of the gate.
And that’s exactly what my first guest would tell me. Jason Barrett was the first person to really believe in me outside of my small circle in my first radio market (Louisville). And he was certainly my first sports radio coach. I’m lucky to have crossed paths with him.
Anyway, not too long ago, he did a personality profile on me. I decided it was his turn.
Jason took on the launching of 101 ESPN in St. Louis (where he hired me) and took it all the way to No. 1 during this three-year tenure there. He then tried another challenge–launching another sports station–this time in a Top five market.
He’s succeeded there too in his four years at 95.7 The Game and now he’s making a decision geared toward his family life. You’ll hear about it in the podcast.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR. I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Jason talks about how he got the bug for sports radio, by listening to… Howard Stern?
- Jason talks about how he got into the radio industry, by getting his feet muddy, literally.
- Jason says his picture on the front page of a local paper helped get him into sports radio.
- Jason points out three low points in his career, which I’m sure some in this industry can relate to.
- Jason talks about the biggest mistake program directors make today: hiring a certain sort of employee.
- Jason lays out the right way to manage a relationship with a franchise when you are their flagship station.
- Jason talks about why broadcasting from the big events is important.
- The 3 L’s Jason looks for in a sports talk host!
- Jason gives his biggest pet peeves about sports radio hosts today.
- Jason talks about what he wants to see on a resumé tape. Hint: “I don’t want to hear your best two minutes.”
- Jason pulls traits from his favorite hosts to make the “perfect host.”
- Jason talks about Colin Cowherd’s brain.
- Jason talks about a huge decision he’s making for himself and his family.
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- Jason’s book recommendation: Pat Riley’s “The Winner Within: A Life Plan for Team Players.” Get it here through my link -> http://amzn.to/1CfTurq (I do receive a small commission if you go through my link. Thanks for the support.)
- Jason’s website: sportsradiopd.com
- Jason’s Twitter: @sportsradiopd
- Jason’s Instagram: instagram.com/sportsradiopd
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Jason? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see at the top of the post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.