Above is PASR 014: The One With Colin Cowherd.
“There’s no money in being right. A lot of guys are more right than me and they’re doing overnights.” – Colin Cowherd
Colin Cowherd doesn’t need much of an introduction. But he deserves one.
Cowherd has been a fixture with ESPN Radio since 2003 and is a model for a lot of aspiring young sports talk broadcasters. His use of analogies to compare sports to life and business are unparalleled and, frankly, something I do myself now (although not nearly as well) because of all of the listening I’ve done to him over the years.
His rap sheet reads like a greedy kid’s Christmas wish list. ESPN Radio host, author (twice now), successful TV host of multiple shows, sports director at a TV news station, play-by-play announcer–and I’m missing a bunch.
But his love for sports talk trumps all. He talks about his past and predicts the future of his show and the sports talk industry overall in our conversation.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Colin talks about how he got the bug for doing sports talk, via play-by-play and television. [2:55]
- Colin remembers the first time he thought sports radio might be a viable career. [4:21]
- Was Colin always confident in his ability or did it develop over time? [6:31]
- Colin gives some great advice to aspiring sports talk hosts. [7:55]
- “Don’t worry about being perfect.” [9:17]
- Colin goes through his show prep process. [10:23]
- The dynamic of topic development between Colin and his staff before air. [12:30]
- How often does management talk to Colin about his content? [14:17]
- Does Colin get paralyzed by market-specific ratings? [15:38]
- Where will sports radio be in five to ten years? [18:10]
- The biggest differences between Colin’s show when he began at ESPN Radio in 2003 and now. [21:19]
- How does Colin conform to the new “bite-size” world of topic delivery and consumption? [22:31]
- The sports radio version of nails on a chalkboard to Colin. [24:23]
- “There’s no money in being right. A lot of guys are more right than me and they’re doing overnights.” [25:45]
- The thing that Colin does that annoys the people around him the most. [28:58]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST
- Colin’s first book, “You Herd Me: I’ll Say It If No One Else Will” on Amazon OR get the audiobook for free!
- Colin’s new book, “Raw: My 100% Grade A Unfiltered Look At Sports,” out in October 2015.
- Audible: I know you love audio. So I teamed up with Audible and if you haven’t already, you can grab an awesome audiobook from their enormous library of over 180,000 titles for FREE. Go to aboutsportsradio.com/audible.**
- Here’s some bonus audio that we left off the podcast just for you junkies. Here’s some more with Colin Cowherd.
ONE FAVOR: YOUR TURN!
Time to get your thoughts on a topic Colin and I talked about…
How much does being right on certain subjects matter in how good a radio host is?
Leave your answer below.
** DISCLAIMER: We do receive a small commission for products purchased through our links. Thanks in advance for your support.