Above is PASR 006: The One With Arnie Spanier.
“Think about going up to ESPN or Fox or CBS and saying ‘hey, I wanna do a show’ and I’ve never done a show.” – Arnie Spanier
Fox Sports Radio’s Arnie Spanier is my guest today. Not just because he’s got one of the biggest energy tanks that I’ve heard in the business ever, but also because he was the first guy I can ever remember listening to when I was a kid.
Arnie’s rarity is that he got his sports talk radio start IN NETWORK RADIO. Sports talk radio was in it’s infancy then and Arnie talks about how it’d be so much tougher for him if it started now. But, the journey he takes us on is like a roller coaster that keeps on going up at 90 miles an hour.
Arnie got his start at Sports Entertainment Network in the early 1990s. SEN was the first all-sports radio network that lasted more than two full years. He has had local stints in Phoenix, Los Angeles and Atlanta, among others, and is now at Fox Sports Radio.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Zach tells Arnie the story about how Arnie was the first guy Zach remembers listening to on the radio talk sports. [3:06]
- Arnie talks about how he got the sports radio bug. [5:00]
- Arnie talks about how he got his first radio job–a network gig. [6:01]
- Arnie describes what his show is. [8:56]
- Arnie talks about how his show has evolved over the years. [10:14]
- Arnie gives his biggest failure. [11:30]
- Arnie talks about being successful on the West Coast despite having that signature raspy New York tone. [12:30]
- Arnie talks about another failure/regret. [15:45]
- Arnie describes the difference between working as a solo host and working with a co-host, like he does on Sundays at Fox Sports Radio. [19:37]
- Arnie describes his regular work day, which is different for a night host compared to other shifts. [20:34]
- Arnie talks about his approach to different topics. [22:37]
- Arnie talks about his biggest strength and his biggest weakness as a host. [23:53]
- Arnie talks about his biggest pet peeve of other hosts and himself. [26:15]
- Arnie talks about his number one piece of advice for other hosts. [28:10]
- Arnie talks about how important making connections are in the sports radio industry. [30:50]
- Arnie talks about who is great at sports radio right now. [32:30]
- Arnie chats about how he appreciates when listeners recite his catchphrases. [33:50]
- Arnie’s proudest moment in the sports radio industry. [35:00]
- Arnie tells the story about how he got the nickname “Stinkin’ Genius.” [37:50]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- Arnie’s Facebook: facebook.com/arnie.spanier
- Arnie’s Twitter: @StinkinGenius1
- Arnie’s Show at Fox Sports Radio: http://www.foxsportsradio.com/articles/line-up-381855/weekends-on-fox-sports-radio-11661692/
- Lids: I’m a customer and a proud member of the Lids Club, where I get discount on all of the sports apparel they have under their roof both in their brick-and-mortar stores AND online. GET YOUR 20% OFF NOW BY SIGNING UP FOR THE LIDS CLUB AT THIS LINK: aboutsportsradio.com/getlids (NOTE: If you go through my link and get your 20% off, I do receive a small commission. Thanks in advance).
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Arnie? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see attached to this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.