Above is PASR 007: The One With Al Dukes.
“The biggest misconception to me in the sports radio world is that guests are important. They are not.” – Al Dukes
WFAN producer Al Dukes is my guest. I thought it was about time to get a producer slant on things. For some of our listeners, the behind-the-scenes work is what they want to know more about. Al gives great insight into that.
Plus, many of us (me included) got our start producing or at least running a board for someone else before we got “called up.”
Al’s trek to the executive producer’s chair for Boomer & Carton (Boomer Esiason and Craig Carton) is one the involved very little sports along the way, but now there isn’t but one thing he doesn’t like about his job.
Al delves into a little of the formula his show uses to succeed and the relationship he has with his hosts.
Check out more of the show notes below to get a feel for what you will hear in this edition of The PASR.
I hope you enjoy and, as always, leave a comment to get out anything that this podcast had you thinking along the way.
INSIDE THIS EPISODE…
- Al talks about how he got his start in this business. [3:33]
- Al explains the Boomer & Carton show and the philosophy behind it. [7:11]
- Al talks about NFL Mondays perhaps being their worst shows of the week. [8:40]
- Al lays out his typical day as a morning show producer. [9:46]
- Al talks about the dynamic between the radio show and the television network that simulcasts it. [15:30]
- Al brings up the toughest part of his job: sleep. [16:56]
- Al talks about his favorite part of the show everyday. [18:00]
- Al talks about the biggest misconception about sports radio. [19:14]
- Al talks about how Boomer & Craig have evolved over time. [25:01]
- Al gives his biggest pet peeve of sports radio hosts. [28:25]
- Al gives an interesting answer to who does his job better than anyone. [30:03]
- Al talks about who he thinks is the best host in sports radio, not at WFAN. [30:22]
LINKS AND RESOURCES MENTIONED IN THIS EPISODE…
FROM THE GUEST:
- Al’s resource that he uses at lot for his job–Feedly: feedly.com
- Al’s Twitter: @AlsBoringTweets
- Boomer and Carton’s Show Twitter account: @BoomerAndCarton
- Al’s Boring Podcast: iTunes
- Lids: I’m a customer and a proud member of the Lids Club, where I get discounts on all of the sports apparel they have under their roof both in their brick-and-mortar stores AND online. GET 20% OFF HATS AND 10% OFF EVERYTHING ELSE NOW BY SIGNING UP FOR THE LIDS CLUB AT THIS LINK: aboutsportsradio.com/getlids (NOTE: If you go through my link and get your 20% off, I do receive a small commission. Thanks in advance).
THANKS FOR LISTENING!
Thanks for joining me again this week. Have something you’d like to share with me or Al? Leave a note in the comment section below!
If you enjoyed this episode, please share it using the social media buttons you see attached to this post.
Also, please leave an honest review for The Podcast About Sports Radio on iTunes! Ratings and reviews are extremely helpful and greatly appreciated! They do matter in the rankings of the show, and I read each and every one of them.